BIRKENSTOCK sandals emphasize the importance of tradition and heritage. The well-known brand dates back centuries. Birkenstock is deeply rooted in the fine art of crafted premium quality shoes.
Many people ask us, "why buy Birkenstocks?" Here's the top 5 benefits of the popular shoes:
- Birkenstock is a time-tested, reliable company. Since 1774, Birkenstock has passed this vital commitment down from one generation to the next, resulting in endlessly growing premium quality products. Though the shoes have obviously changed since the 1700s, Birkenstock clogs and sandals are known for their comfort even more than 200 years later. Buying Birkenstock clogs ensures that you receive high-quality shoes with designs that have been honed and perfected for decades.
- Birkenstock is famous for its simplicity. Soft fabrics such as leather and suede and clean lines make Birkenstock sandals popular and easy to wear. Birkenstock creates shoes with simple designs that can be worn with almost any outfit, including jeans, twill pants, skirts, dress pants, shorts and dresses. To find trendier styles, look for Birkenstock sandals in bright colors, such as red, green and blue, and with extra buckles and hardware.
- Birkenstock shoes are known for their comfortable foot beds. Since 1897, Birkenstock footwear has been designed with contoured insoles to provide more comfort. Birkenstock shoes also have curved foot beds made from cork and rubber for durability and stability. Buy Birkenstock footwear with thick soles and wide foot beds that will cushion your feet, especially if you plan to be on your feet all day.
- Birkenstock shoes are flattering on everyone. Many styles of Birkenstock shoes are unisex and come in neutral colors that look good on men and women. Birkenstock clogs, sandals and slip-ons are comfortable and always classic with every outfit.
- Birkenstock shoes are built to last. The unique style of the Birkenstock foot bed allows it to mold to your foot's shape, thus becoming more and more comfortable over time. With thick cork soles and leather or suede uppers, Birkenstocks are an investment that will keep your feet happy for years to come.
History of Birkenstock
In 1774, John Adam Birkenstock was listed as a subject and cobbler in the church archives of Langen-Bergheim, Germany. There, he began making rubber shoes. In 1896, Konrad Brikenstock, master cobbler and shoemaker opened two shoe specialty stores in Frankfurt and began producing customized footbed insoles for other shoe companies as well.
Over the next fifteen years, Konrad Birkenstock gave lectures and seminars to other masters and guilds to his explain his revolutionary ideas for a (graphic) custom shoe. To begin his dream, he set out, traveling throughout all of Germany and Austria. In 1914, Konrad and eldest son, Carl Birkenstock were hired by the hospital Frankfurt-Friedrichsheim's rehabilitation ward to manufacture custom orthapaedic footwear for wounded soldiers during the first world war. In 1925, Carl Birkenstock jr. entered the family business and created The Blue Footbed®.
It is successfully sold in Austria, France, Denmark, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium, Norway, The Netherlands, Sweden, and Switzerland. Over the next few decades, word of the amazing Birkenstock shoe spread and with their success, Birkenstock moved to the bank of the Rhine River in Bad Honnef. In 1964, Carl's son, Karl Birkenstock took his grandfather's concept to new heights by creating the first Birkenstock sandal, adding a leather top and sole.
Over the next several decades into today, Birkenstock continued rapid growth with the introduction of new technology such as self-coloring footprint paper, electro-mechanical molding machines, modern cutting machines, and computerized systems.
Birkenstock represents top-notch products manufactured with close attention to detail and a high level of hand-crafting. Eco-friendly production and the use of select, high-grade, long-lasting materials all help to protect our environment.
With more than 230 years of experience in the art of shoemaking, these shoes exhibit the finest workmanship and are of the utmost quality.
New manufacturing processes aided by the latest technologies and the development of new materials and models allow BIRKENSTOCK to offer unique quality and unmatched comfort, walking and standing, today and tomorrow.